Tuesday, June 26, 2012

HAIRitage

I have really thick, ridculously healthy and slippery, fast-growing hair that drives me NUTS. There are days when I'm tempted to just shave it all off and have done with it! However, I've decided to something a little bit more practical...I'm going to grow it out until I have an 8-inch ponytail, and then I'm going to chop it all off and donate it to an organization that makes wigs and donates them to the cancer society to be given to cancer patients. At the rate my hair grows, I think it'll probably take another year to year and a half.

When it comes time for the haircut, I'm going to partner with the Canadian Cancer Society to collect pledges and raise funds for cancer research and patient resources, so I'll definitely keep you updated as the hair grows.

I've been thinking about doing this for a while, but what brought on the decision was one half of the beloved and classic Lutheran duo Lost And Found, Michael, announcing that he has cancer and is going to be undergoing radiation and chemo. Michael has this curly blond afro, and one of his classic concert jokes is about his HAIRitage, and so it makes me really sad to think of him loosing all of his hair during treatment. I can't give him mine, but I've got so much of it that I don't want, I could give it to someone!

So, I hope you will keep an eye out for my cancer fundraiser, probably coming next fall. I don't think I know anyone who's life hasn't been affected somehow by cancer, and it feels good to be able to help someone, even someone I don't know, in such a practical way.

Stein auf! (Rock on!)

Michael and George of Lost And Found at my church in Nov 2010

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great idea. Have you checked with the collecting organization to see exactly how long it needs to be?? A friend of mine did this and I seem to remember more than eight inches ...something to do with extra needed to weave into the roots of the wig.

You may be glad of your thick, fast-growing hair someday! My hair dresser says that I will probably not develop the thinning hair like a lot of senior women....you have probably noticed it. I have so many follicle that losing a bunch will not be so noticeable. She also said that because I did not get perms or dye my hair, I still have healthy roots, and a lot of follicles left and my hair still grows quickly and has a lot of pigment left. So there you have an extra genetic inheritance...Love, Mom