I love these things, because they make me think about stuff I might not have otherwise. Here's a look back at what 2008 meant to me...not surprisingly, Israel features quite highly. :)
1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before? Bought a house, went to Israel (which included too many firsts to list!), joined the District Youth Gathering Committee, got the car stuck in a snowdrift, played video games (I gave Trev a Wii for Christmas), hosted Christmas dinner for the family...
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I don't even remember what they were...probably to eat more healthily and get more exercise, which I did ok with, and hope to keep up this year
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? a couple of friends had babies
4. Did anyone close to you die? no
5. What countries/cities did you visit? Lots of travelling around Alberta and BC, as usual, and ISRAEL! And Jordan...
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008? More time with God
7. What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? July 1st...Canada Day in Israel! And September 23rd...the day we took possession of the new house.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Going to Israel, working my butt off in the dirt, and loving every minute of it. Buying a house was a pretty big achievement too - we've been working towards it for over 6 years!
9. What was your biggest failure? Getting sick at Christmas :(
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? See #9...
11. What was the best thing you bought? A house!
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration? Trevor painted a pink stripe around my kitchen :) He actually worked really hard at doing all the things I wanted done to the house. It made me very happy!
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed? That's a pretty dramatic statement...I don't tend to get THAT bothered about things!
14. Where did most of your money go? Travelling and house-buying
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Israel! New house! Having company in the new house!
16. What song will always remind you of 2008? My "Liberated Wailing Wall" cd I listened to a lot in Israel, and the songs from the Prince Caspian soundtrack
17. Compared to this time last year, are you…
i. happier or sadder? Happier
ii. thinner or fatter? About the same
iii. richer or poorer? Depends...we're more in debt, but we've got more invested!
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Digging in the hot sun
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Not trusting God
20. How will you be spending Christmas? I take it this refers to Christmas 2008...I hosted dinner for the fam, with my mom and bro from NS and the inlaws too
21. How will you be spending New Years? I was still really sick, and sadly I was in bed by 9.
22. Did you fall in love in 2008? With Israel!
23. How many one night stands? lol
24. What was your favourite TV program? McLeod's Daughters
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? Nope - hating is highly overrated
26. What was the best book you read? I'm really enjoying the "Cat Who..." series...I don't think I read anything life changing or whatever
27. What was your greatest musical discovery? The Prince Caspian soundtrack
28. What did you want and get? A big trip overseas and a house - two major goals accomplished!
29. What did you want and not get? To work TEC :(
30. What was your favourite film of this year? Prince Caspian
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I had a few friends and some family over and had cake...turned 28
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? I don't know what could have made it more satisfying!
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008? "Grubby Archaeologist" :)
34. What kept you sane? God!
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Hummm...not really sure...I'm not super into celebrities.
36. What political issue stirred you the most? ARGH! What a year of absolute CRAP! ARGH! Canadian, Israeli and American politics all annoyed the HECK out of me....grrrr....
37. Who did you miss? my friends who don't live in Calgary!
38. Who was the best new person you met? I met lots of cool people in Israel...I met a few cool people in the Toronto airport on the way to Israel, too. :)
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008. Stop fretting and trust God! We'll see how well that sticks with me this year... :)
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year. "This home...I've been searching for a place of my own...now I've found it...this is home"
41. Was 2008 a good year for you? One of the best, without a doubt
42. What were your favourite moments of the year? Having Chris and Kelsey over for a really good visit (I love quality time!), swimming the in Sea of Galilee, having Mom and Simon visit, our big housewarming party, house hunting with Trevor, swimming in the Banff hot springs with the youth and again with my family, going to Lauren's wedding with Heather, visiting Barb in Medicine Hat, seeing Petra, touching the Western Wall, moving out of the basement suite in the NE, the first time we walked into what is now our house, eating popsicles on the kibbutz after a day of digging, hiking Grotto Canyon with Trevor....so many of them!
43. What was your least favourite moment of the year? Dealing with the crappy internet connection at the kibbutz while trying to talk to Trevor, dealing with Israeli border security, getting my RRSP statement after the market crash, being sick on Christmas (I missed church on Christmas day for the first time in my LIFE!), Anne Marie telling me she was leaving DPS-ing
44. What was your favourite month of 2008? June to September
45. What was your favourite song from in 2008? "This is Home", I think it's by Switchfoot
46. What was your favourite record from 2008? The Prince Caspian soundtrack
47. How many concerts did you see in 2008? Quite a few...one with Trevor that I didn't love so much, and a bunch at the CPO. The most memorable one at the CPO was Natalie McMaster, although that was also the most recent one. :)
48. Did you have a favourite concert in 2008? My favourite concert is still the Starfield/Third Day/Chris Tomlin one I went to a few years back
49. Did you drink a lot of alcohol in 2008? Nope
50. Did you do a lot of drugs in 2008? I sure went through a lot of Advil Cold and Sinus! :)
51. Did you do anything you are ashamed of this year? I don't think so...although if I did, I wouldn't be likely to post it on my blog...
52. What was the worst lie someone told you in 2008? I can't think of anything
53. Did you treat somebody badly in 2008? Possibly...I feel that sometimes I come across as rude when really I'm just quiet, so I might have without realizing
54. Did somebody treat you badly in 2008? Not that I can think of
55. How much money did you spend in 2008? I bought a house and took a major trip overseas...it wasn't a cheap year!
56. What was your proudest moment of 2008? The day I carried two heavy buckets of pottery shards all the way down the hill all by myself, and at a decent pace, too!
57. If you could go back in time to any moment of 2008 and change something, what would it be? I'm not sure that I would change anything. It was a super good year!
58. What are your plans for 2009? Run a youth gathering, go to California with Trevor, maybe go someplace hot for Christmas if it works out, go to Break Forth, read lots of books, write, and cross some more things off the 'house to do' list